The Tuttles have had a very difficult day. Heath was not feeling well so they took him into the doctor this morning. I called Carrie just to check in and she said she was with the doctor and that Heath was very ill. The doctors were not immediately sure what was wrong but they were anticipating hospitalization. Carrie said she would call me back once she found out more information.
About 4:30 p.m. I received a call from Ella, Carrie's mother, telling me that Heath was in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, was very seriously ill and asked me if I could come and stay with Ella Brooks while the family went to Duke's PICU. Of course I dropped everthing, headed to Carrie's home and Ron headed to Duke.
Ron was able to see the family and discovered that Heath's condition had changed very quickly and has been sedated and placed on a heart/lung bypass machine for the next few days in order to give his heart a "rest". The hope is that Heath can be weaned off of the heart/lung machine in a few days and they will consider a pacemaker in the days to come.
For now, the family is taking shifts staying with Heath and caring for Ella Brooks. Of course the family is worried, exhausted and overwhelmed with this difficult turn of events. Fortunately, I was able to spend an evening with Ella Brooks cooking, playing, reading, pretending and keeping her completely unaware of Heath's condition. Chris's parents, Bob & Pat arrived tonight in Durham ready to do whatever is needed.
The doctors are encouraging Chris & Carrie to go home tonight and get some sleep while they can. The coming days will be challenging and they will need what rest they can get tonight. Chris's sister, Sarah, is staying with Heath tonight so Chris and Carrie can try to sleep.
It is late, and everyone is indeed exhausted. As I learn more tomorrow, I will update the blog again. Please continue to pray in earnest for Heath as he weathers this storm and as they anxiously await a transplant....
Blessings, "Gran" Sarah
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
THank you for the update. Our prayers continue! Much love to all of the Tuttles!
-Emily Hilimire
Thank you for the news on Heath. Prayers are surrounding the whole family. Much love to them all!
Thanks for the difficult update. Love you guys, Chris & Carrie!
Stephanie Anthony
Post a Comment