Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Heath turns 2!

Hello dear friends! Our sweet fella turned 2 on Monday. It hardly seems possible...he is such an amazing guy. I have been meaning to write a blog update for quite some time, but I somehow haven't quite felt like it with all of the stuff going on with Haiti. (see post below for more information)
But alas, we must live! And boy, are we LIVING! It seems amazing to me that it was a year ago Sunday that we left the hospital.
And this year Heath is doing so well--save a lovely ear infection that doesn't want to go away (we'll take that kind of not sleeping any day, by the way). He had 5 shots today, which he was not thrilled about--and let the nurses at the pedatricians' office know his feelings. He is finally able to get many of his immunizations and he gets a shot of Synagis every month (for preemies usually to stave off RSV--very expensive but insurance approves of Heath's need for it!). we have our next cath set for March 11--and no other big appts. at Duke until then. It seems so bizarre. If it weren't for all of his meds, I think I might almost forget all that has happened to this big 2-year-old.
We're celebrating birthday with family this coming weekend. BUT, our much-beloved friend, Wendy, came to see us from Virginia Beach this past weekend. WE had such a good visit (see picture below). Chris has been in the midst of a DMin class at Columbia, so he came home from Atlanta this weekend and then comes home this next weekend again. He is enjoying his class, but I think he misses us...(maybe not the lack of sleep, but his people) :) We certainly miss him. It was nice that he was home for a birthday "do-nut" with Heath on Monday, though.
Heath has decided that do-nuts (he says "doo-nut" with an enormous smile on his face) are pretty much the best thing ever. It is pretty hilarious to hear him yell "doo-nut" with just complete joy! we won't eat too many, I promise, but he had to get a couple for his birthday. once again, it is the little things in life that make so much of a difference.

So that is where we are right now.
I can't seem to get the people of Haiti off my mind--how could we, really? I talked to Jamie on skype in France today. He is struggling with figuring out how/when to get back. Their factory in Cap Hatien is up and running and they are trying to get all the medica mamba out asap. it could be really important for the children during this recovery process because it has so many extra nutrients--developed particularly for malnurished children but can be used by anyone. Many of his friends who were missing have been accounted for and are alive, which is great. We've all seen the pictures and stories about so many who did not make it. Please continue to pray for all those affected by the earthquake--and for those who will be continuing in the emergency efforts and then also into the future rebuilding efforts. There are times when you can see how you could lose hope in this situation, but the Hatians who have survived seem to be moving forward. We're just going to need to help them do it.

I will do another post soon with updates on haiti and our holidays. I have some hilarious pictures from our traveling adventures, but they aren't at my fingertips right now and I wanted to go ahead and post something.

blessings to you all.
carrie















2 comments:

Ginger Evans said...

Celebrating with all the Tuttles a blessed birthday. Miracles happen and that will remain our prayer for you and for Haiti. Hugs and see you all in Montreat soon.
Ginger

Unknown said...

That sweet boy deserves to eat as many donuts as he wants for his birthday! Love and miss you - tell Chris to call us!!