Monday, February 22, 2010

the sunny side of life...


tutus, cars, grandmother's hats, a firetruck, and a rooster named "Robert E."...













The sun came out Saturday, and it stayed around for Sunday. It is gone today, and the rain is coming down pretty hard, but I am remembering it fondly. i am more hopeful that it will come back soon...
As i drove the back roads of chatham county yesterday, I could feel the smile on my face and the contentment in my heart. Nothing huge had happened--in fact, my children were laughing and wearing a couple of my Grandmother Rhoads' old hats (and gloves in EB's case) while EB was singing all the words to "We Are the World" at the top of her lungs. We had just had a fabulous visit with my cousin Margaret and her husband Roger and their son, Daniel. We played with their wonderful dogs, put hands in the pond (kept heath from jumping in with the dogs), met their new rooster, watched heath desperately try to drive their not-working lawn mower, and basked in the beauty of the day and the beauty of family. Earlier in the day we had had lunch with our dear friends, the Barnes family, after church. Mimi (Pat) had come for a fun weekend visit with us and bless her, to help with kiddos with aunt sarah while I went before the presbytery to become a MOM MAL (i.e. mom minster-at-large). We had just gotten news that Aunt "Mona" (my sister-in-law) passed her huge test to become an RN--we're so proud. My mom and strow were on the road back from georgia reporting that Aunt Cindy had had a great wedding shower--and that the wedding plans were well under way...
I guess everything is a little sweeter with a little perspective, and a little sunshine.
I am hoping that i will always be able to have that little dose of perspective in the back of my mind as we move along in this life together.
Not that there aren't some tough things going on too--uncle jamie is toiling away in haiti--in a sad state. There are so many troubles there. Last week the daughter of one of the doctors that they work mostly closely with in mfk was killed when the wall collapsed in her school in cap hatien. He is amazed by the hope that he sees in the Haitian people he knows, though. He keeps working hard--and having hope because they have hope.
Heath has had another yucky ear infection--and we haven't slept well in quite a few days.
BUT, at least it is a regular child issue--nothing to do with that heart.
perspective.
I have learned to find joy in the hilarious simple moments with my children--to rejoice in their triumphs (heath is speaking MORE!!!) and the outfits (tutus have come back "in style" in the tuttle household).
Their favorite thing to do right now is put tutus on over their pajamas (particularly lovely with heath's very "boy" footies) and dance and sing to the youtube of "We are the World." Heath likes the rap part of the new one, eb tends to like the 25 year old version. I hear her beautiful little voice singing, "we are the world, we are the children. we are the ones to make a brighter day, so let's start giving..." and somehow I actually do have a little more hope for the world.
blessings on your week, even if the sun isn't shining.
carrie

1 comment:

charlotteme said...

Joyous tears in my eyes for your sunny weekend. We ARE the children and there is always hope. Thanks for the reminder..through the eyes of you sweet children........

Love to you all,
God's peace to you,
Charlotte

PS I think I need to get a tu-tu....don't you???