Monday, September 27, 2010

the joys of parenting...


As Heath has started school, we have been so worried about what would happen with his health. He is immune-suppressed. He is in PRESCHOOL...the teachers & other parents have been great about calling to warn us about things that he might have been exposed to. Who would have thought that it would have been the women in his life with the health issues--and so far he has laughed and kept us smiling and has NOT CAUGHT ANYTHING (I am knocking on wood as I am writing this, by the way).
I picked up a yucky cold last week and tried to figure out how on earth not to give it to the kids. Then, on Saturday EB came down with a yucky stomach virus (bless our dear friend katherine who was babysitting when it came on!!! we owe her big!). She was a sick girl. We had all these things planned on Sunday that we had to cancel--preparing for the worst of all of us getting it. But so far, that hasn't happened. Then, as EB was feeling better today, I noticed that she was still favoring the wrist that she had fallen on Friday night while showing us some of her gymnastics moves in the living room. She had told us that it wasn't that bad, had played on the playground and with friends on Saturday...and then had been sick. She finally said, "ok we can go get some pictures taken..." this afternoon. And bless her heart, it was fractured. Her radius had buckled. So, we have a really hip pink cast (many of you will remember her large pink leg cast when she was about 18 months old). After dropping Daddy back off at church, Heath and i decided to cheer her up with painting her nails the same color as the cast while we watched Cars. Heath didn't understand why he shouldn't be able to participate fully in the event, so well, his nails are pink too.
i am sure he will strut right in to class tomorrow, wearing it proudly and pointing it out with his deep, loud voice.
i am sure they have seen worse.
i keep forgetting that you can plan and plan and plan and that life still takes over and usually moves you in a different direction. but that's all part of the journey. and certainly part of parenting.
every once in a while i forget how hard it is to see your children hurt and feel awful, and then I am reminded. But then, in the midst, when they are being themselves and making the best of a pretty awful situation and trying to make each other laugh...and painting each other's nails...well, I also remember the joys.
love to you all. c


IN PICS: Papa came for a great long visit last week! The kids decided to get him to play horse. I hope his back has recovered...
HEath on the first day of school




Ella Brooks and Heath on the day that they got to go in and "meet" the teachers and other students.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Price wanted painted toenails too - so I let him pick out his very own green polish (maybe a little better than bright pink, but who knows)

Sarah said...

Love you guys! That backpack is as big as Heath! Sweet boy. I just can't get over how big they both look in the back to school pic. Miss you a whole bunch.
Hugs, Sarah